Quantcast The Smartest Fool: Hon's Wun-Tun House - San Francisco, CA

Friday, November 20, 2009

Hon's Wun-Tun House - San Francisco, CA


Finding myself in San Francisco a few blocks from Chinatown made me yearn for some authentic Asian food. A little research on the Internet pointed me in the direction of a shop a few blocks from the financial district but several blocks from my hotel in Union Square. What the heck - it's worth it if it's good. And, from the prices I read about why not give it a shot?

After arriving at the location on Kearny Street I started to second guess my choice. It was certainly no-frills. In fact, noone was even in the restaurant. I convinced myself that it was the dinner hour and most people that work in the financial district probably come here for lunch. The price and recommendation drove me in. Based upon my online research I ordered the curry beef and a side of white rice: to go. For under $7.00 I was on my way with my treat.

After returning to my hotel room I opened up the package. A container similar to one that egg drop soup would come in and a chinese box with white rice was before me. I don't even know if I like curry! I opened both and decided the best way to eat it was by putting rice on my fork and dipping it into the broth. Wow, that was good! So I put all the rice into the container. The flavor of the broth was unbelievable. The beef itself simply melted in my mouth. It was prepared perfectly. With each bite I noted either potato or a piece of wonton. After completing the meal I wanted more. But I would have to wait. As soon as my wife came out two days later I took her straight down to Hon's for another taste of this delightful meal. She had to try it for herself after listening to my rave reviews for 48 hours :)

Overall you can't beat it: an incredible meal for less than $10. Whether it's authentic or not, Hon's Wun-Tun House offers a great version of curry beef.









No comments:

Post a Comment